North Beach Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tour
Discover the unique Barbary Coast that has been home to a large number of Italian Americans and has evolved into a hidden foodie paradise as you enjoy delectable food and drink samples from five authentic mom-and-pop restaurants and ethnic eateries. All food tastings, enough for lunch, are included in the ticket price of $69.00
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE NORTH BEACH FOOD TOUR:
Five delectable food tastings - On this guided food tour of North Beach, we'll visit 5 uniquely different mom-and-pop shops, ethnic eateries and restaurants. Engage your sense of taste at a world famous delicatessen that presented a salami to the Pope! Nosh on pizza or rosemary focaccia from a 100-year-old bakery; and nibble on handmade in-house decadent truffles. All food tastings are included in the price. See all food tastings below.
Experience the history, architecture and culture of North Beach and the Barbary Coast. Between plentiful food tastings, your knowledgeable guide will provide you with an insider's look into how the foods are made at these ethnic eateries and trendy restaurants. Your guide will point out interesting architectural flourishes, beautiful parks and churches and discuss how the people living in the neighborhood have influenced the scrumptious foods you'll be savoring.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE NORTH BEACH FOOD TOUR?
Our North Beach Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tour is perfect for native San Franciscans and tourists alike. We guide you to the best hidden gourmet gems and off-the-beaten path spots ideal for improving your palate and learning the tricks of the trade from local artisans. Our walking tours are given at a leisurely pace and are appropriate for all ages. Join us on an eating extravaganza of North Beach, and we promise you'll go home with a full belly and a deeper appreciation for what goes into the local foods we eat.
WHY TAKE THE NORTH BEACH FOOD TOUR?
Our North Beach Food Tour shows you San Francisco's hidden gems, history and best eats! North Beach is a neighborhood that manages to always delight visitors yet remains beloved by San Franciscans. Discover what The American Planning Association (APA) has called one of ten Great Neighborhoods in America. Take a detour off the main drag of Columbus and you're likely to run across some unexpected treasure of a shop, restaurant or spectacular view. After your tour, enjoy San Francisco's neighborhoods, home to a diverse array of delicious food establishments, it is a treasure-trove of foodie fun!
READY TO EAT WITH US?
You may purchase tickets through our secure website by clicking on the Buy Tickets button, or by calling (877) 568-6877. We look forward to giving you a delicious and informative food tour of North Beach!
- Ticket Purchase: Tickets must be purchased in advance through our secure website or calling our call center (877) 568-6877.
- When: Monday and Saturday; All year round
- Time: Tours begin at 11:00AM. Please arrive 10 minutes early. Our tours leave on time.
- Duration: Approximately 3 hours
- Where: Exact location given when tickets purchased
- Weather: Tour takes place rain or shine. We will reschedule due to extremely inclement weather.
- Dress: Casual dress. We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
- Food: On this tour we will be doing 5 food tastings at different food establishments. Most people find it is enough for lunch.
- Included: All 5 tastings (enough for lunch), and our fun and knowledgeable tour guide's discussion of the history, culture, and architecture of this vibrant neighborhood.
- Price: $69 per person (includes all the food)
- Flavorful food specialties are served from 5 of the following places (subject to change):
- Molinari Delicatessen: Pope John Paul II was presented with a Molinari salami from 8 year old Joey (est. 1896)
- Peña Pachamama: Historic site of a former speakeasy, serving up organic Bolivian fare
- Golden Boy Pizza: Peter Sodini's vision of the perfect pizza (est. 1978)
- Original U.S. Restaurant: A fixture of the North Beach Italian community featuring homemade Italian specialties (est. c. 1890)
- XOX Truffles: Chef Jean-Marc Gorce offers you the finest handmade truffles (est. 1997)
- A. Cavalli & Co.: At the forefront of Italian culture in America for over 130 years (est. 1880)