Mission District Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tour
Tease your taste buds as we bring to life the foodie enclave of The Mission District, as you eat delicious foods from five one-of-a-kind specialty food stores, ethnic delis and local restaurants. Join us as we guide you off the beaten path to taste mouthwatering authentic ethnic foods that have made the neighborhood explode with hot new restaurants in recent years. All food tastings, enough for lunch, are included in the ticket price of $60.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE MISSION DISTRICT FOOD TOUR:
Five delectable food tastings - On this guided food tour of The Mission District, we will taste scrumptious delights from five one-of-a-kind taquerias, mom-and-pop shops and restaurants. Skip the long lines at a bakery whose chef won the coveted James Beard Award for Outstanding Pastry in 2008. Savor gooey pizza named the third best pizza in America by Alan Richman. All food tastings, enough for lunch, are included in the price. See all food tastings below.
Experience the history, architecture and culture of The Mission District. Between food tastings, your knowledgeable and personal sightseeing guide will point out the beautiful murals that make The Mission District an artist enclave. You will hear intriguing stories as far back as the Spanish Missionaries of the late 17th century, all the way up to the lively punk nightlife of the 1970s and the neighborhoods more recent gentrification with its trendy restaurant scene. Learn about The Mission through its food culture and people.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE MISSION DISTRICT FOOD TOUR?
Our Mission District Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tour is perfect for native San Franciscans and tourists alike. We guide you to the best hidden gourmet gems and off-the-beaten path spots ideal for improving your palate and learning the tricks of the trade from local artisans. Our walking tours are given at a leisurely pace and are appropriate for all ages. Join us on an eating extravaganza of The Mission District, and we promise you'll go home with a full belly and a deeper appreciation for what goes into the local foods we eat.
WHY TAKE THE MISSION DISTRICT FOOD TOUR?
Our Mission District Food Tour shows you San Francisco's hidden gems, history and best eats! Stroll the sidewalks in front of colorful Latino markets, smelling the delicious aroma wafting from first-class cafes along this diverse neighborhood's main streets. The Mission District is a neighborhood that manages to always delight visitors yet remains beloved by San Franciscans. Whatever your tastebuds seek, The Mission delivers!
READY TO EAT WITH US?
You may purchase tickets through our secure website by clicking on the Buy Tickets button, or by calling (877) 568-6877. Our call center is available to help you purchase tickets or answer your questions from 5:00AM - 9:00PM PST. We look forward to giving you a delicious and informative food tour of The Mission District!
- Ticket Purchase: Tickets must be purchased in advance through our secure website or calling (877) 568-6877.
- When: Select Tuesdays, every Friday, and Sunday
- Time: Tours begin at 11:00AM. Please arrive 10 minutes early. Our tours leave on time.
- Duration: Approximately 3 hours
- Where: Exact location given when tickets purchased
- Weather: Tour takes place rain or shine. We will reschedule due to extremely inclement weather.
- Dress: Casual dress. We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
- Food: On this tour we will be doing 5 food tastings at different food establishments. Most people find it is enough for lunch.
- Included: All 5 tastings (enough for lunch), and our fun and knowledgeable tour guide's discussion of the history, culture, and architecture of this vibrant neighborhood.
- Flavorful food specialties are served from 5 of the following places (subject to change):
- Taqueria Cancun: Taste their famous tacos (est. 1985)
- Mission Chinese: Founder Danny Bowien nominated for a James Beard Rising Chef Award (est. 2010)
- Delfina Pizza: Delicious Neapolitan inspired, thin crust pizzas (est. 2005)
- Tartine Bakery: The best French-style bakery in San Francisco. Bypass the lines (est. 2002)
- Ali Baba's Cave: The most delicious, moist falafel in SF. Hear about Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, while noshing on deep-fried chickpeas seasoned to perfection. (est. 2003)
- Craftsman and Wolves: Where the paths of food and design intersect (est. 2010)
- Venga Empanadas: Made by hand, baked not fried, with plenty of flavors to choose from (est. 2008)
- Mission Banh Mi/Duc Loi Kitchen: Serving Amanda's Vietnamese sandwiches, which she learned to make as a girl in Vietnam (est. 2008)